Saturday, May 14th: 1916 tour to Dublin, visiting the National Museum at Collins Barracks and The Pearse Museum in Rathfarnham. Departing St. Michael’s Hall, Green Street at 9.00am. Returning at 8pm approximately. The cost will be €40 including an evening meal in the Glenview Hotel. Please book with Jarlath Glynn – email@example.com – or (087)9862119 on or before May 5th
The National Museum of Ireland has assembled one of the largest displays of materials from this period in this new exhibition. Many of the exhibited objects have never been on public display before while others, such as the Irish Republic flag which flew over the GPO, have been specially conserved. Through the combined effect of the objects, words and imagery of the period, visitors to the exhibition will be confronted with the physical reality of the events of Easter Week, following the stories of those caught up in the events of that momentous week – civilians, combatants and survivors alike.
The Pearse Museum is located in Rathfarnham in the former home and school of Patrick Pearse, the leader of the 1916 Rising. In 1910 Pearse moved out to Rathfarnham, bringing his school, Scoil Éanna, with him. He was an innovative and progressive educator, and the school played a significant role in the Gaelic Revival. Its collection consists of documents, furniture, books, artworks and other objects related to the life of Patrick Pearse and his family. The permanent exhibition principally consists of reconstructions of the rooms where Pearse lived and worked
Saturday, June 25th: Tour to West Waterford visting Tramore, and a drive along the coast to the Copper Coast Geo Park. Departing St. Michael’s Hall, Green Street. at 10am. Returning 6pm approximately. The cost will be €25. There will be a stop for lunch. Please book with Brian Matthews firstname.lastname@example.org or (053)9135488 before June 16th
The Copper Coast is named after the historic metal-mining industry in West Waterford, the legacies of which now constitute a major tourist attraction. The cliffs west of Bunmahon were mined for lead, silver and copper in the eighteenth century. However, the main phase of activity was the mid nineteenth century when the mines east of Bunmahon were worked by the Mining Company of Ireland. We will also learn about some historic shipwrecks in Tramore Bay.
Please note that there will no longer be refunds for those who have booked and are unable to travel on the day of a tour. The committee has decided this is the fairest decision for everyone as we made a loss on tours last year due to refunding some members.